The following is a local policing update for the Rural Flegg Villages neighbourhood
Weekly crime summary 7 – 13 October 2015
Police are urging home owners and businesses to review and check the security of their fuel oil tanks as this is the time of year when fuel thieves become more active as tanks are topped up for the winter.
We are starting to see this criminal activity in our area but by introducing some basic security measures you can improve your chances of not being a victim. Generally the thief will often just drop a hose into an unlocked tank and let it drain or sometimes they drill holes into the sides of tanks. This type of attack will cause additional damage and potential soil pollution if the fuel spills onto the ground. Thieves often strike during the hours of darkness to avoid detection, so we encourage you to do the following:
· Check & record your tank levels and keep the tank securely locked against opportunist thieves
· Keep your tank unobstructed and in view of the house or business where you can plainly see anyone who shouldn’t be there
· Consider protecting the tank with security lighting to deter an attack at night, permitting you to identify suspicious activity early
· Consider fitting a Secured by Design, Police Approved fuel alarm to protect your tank and its valuable contents
· Keep a watch out for your neighbours if they too have a fuel tank. The more eyes watching the better to deter or identify the thief
· Please report suspicious activity on 101, but if you think a crime is in progress then call the Police immediately on 999
For further safety and crime prevention advice for your neighbourhood please visit www.norfolk.police.uk
You can contact us on 101 or if you think a crime is actually in progress then please always dial 999.