The following is a local policing update for the Rural Flegg Villages neighbourhood
Weekly crime summary 15 – 21 April 2015
Police are reminding residents of the dangers of unexpected tradesmen calling at your door. Most legitimate businesses have moved away from this technique and you are within your rights not to engage with people you have not invited to your door. Some simple measures will help to keep you secure:
· Use a door chain until you have check and confirmed the callers identity
· Ask for Identification and call up the company whilst checking their identity and DO NOT allow them into your house until you are happy
· If you aren’t happy please call the police using 101 and we will attend to check their identity
· DO NOT agree to pay them there and then and get any quotes in writing
· If they claim to have carried out work you don’t believe has been carried out or asked for call the police using 101.
The criminal elements that use this approach will target the old and the vulnerable so please be diligent of people calling on your neighbours who may not be as comfortable as yourself at confronting a caller to their door.
If you wish to have an official ‘No Cold Calling’ sticker for your front door you are very welcome to collect one from Great Yarmouth Police Station.
Remember ‘It’s your door you have the right to ask people to leave!’